Now Hiring! New Sales Counselor Position Open!
The Accounting Assistant is responsible for processing construction, development and overhead related invoices relating to multiple projects and companies. Collaboratively works with all departments and trade partners to ensure appropriate payment and response to internal and external inquires. The Accounting Assistant participates in a broad spectrum of accounting functions, including general ledger activities, journal entry processing, and internal financial reporting and general assisting to Accountant.
Responsibilities Will Include:
- Verifies that invoices, check requests and expense reports have the correct GL account number coding and approvals.
- Assigns GL account coding to invoices that do not come from another internal division/department/manager and obtains proper backup and approval.
- Researches prior/past due balances noted on invoices to determine if prior balances have been paid or not. If not yet paid, contacts appropriate parties to ensure backup is obtained and put through normal review and approval process to ensure outstanding balances are resolved appropriately and timely.
- Verifies construction and development invoices include appropriate lien releases, amounts billed agree to committing documents and the work has been approved by the appropriate construction manager.
- Tracks preliminary lien notifications.
- Matches check stubs with invoices; verifies amounts and ensures remittance addresses match/are correct.
- Timely distributes and mails checks.
- Maintains all accounts payable files, including weekly filing of paid invoices.
- Answers accounts payable phone inquiries and follows up within 24 hours.
- Researches and resolves accounts payable discrepancies, questions and issues to ensure prompt and appropriate payment to vendors/subcontractors.
- Pro-actively provides support to senior staff and management regarding establishment, periodic evaluation and refinement of accounts payable policies and procedures.
- General clerical duties as related to job responsibilities (data entry, collating, photo copying, filing, etc.).
- Verifies that subcontractor and vendor Certificates of Insurance are valid/up to date.
- Reviews lot cost detail reports for closed homes, backlog, and specs;
- Prepares and distributes monthly management reports;
- Holds development budget meetings, updates land development budgets, reviews compliance with bids;
- Updates margin analysis and provides construction cost variance explanations;
- Prepares financial management reports (income statement, SG&A variances, warranty, indirect, FPO reports);
- Performs financial statement review including account reconciliations, SG&A variance explanations and Schedule 2;
- Reviews all margin notifications for accuracy, reruns them if changes are needed, and obtains Division Presidents’ approval;
Candidates Will Need to Meet the Following Qualifications:
- General understanding of accounts payable functions.
- Heavy data entry, including 10-key by touch.
- Knowledge of FL lien laws.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Intermediate to Advanced Microsoft Excel skills.
- Familiarity with Builder 360 or other similar operating system platform.
- High School Diploma or GED equivalent with at least 2 years previous relevant experience.
- Bachelor (4 year) Degree in Accounting or Finance preferred;
- Minimum of 2 years of professional accounting experience in the public and/or private field.